Monday, July 13, 2009

IF I WERE BORN BLACK ...AGAIN


On a crispy mat I would lay
Face, up to the heavens, discouraged.

Speaking to the creator for Earth:
Birth and death I’ve seen to share
Bare me in sheer -altar as bait.
In days, I would walk, talk and mock
Walk like a slave made free
Talk like a dumb made whole
Mock like a maid grown old
Freely bound by a world in parts;
Life and death.
In the outer part of the world, I would pee
Freely, as freedom, my joy, will flee

If I were born black …again
I’ll gain stripe like the zebra
Beaten to a dust-man in slavery
Liberal like as a sailor, lost,
Use pun as fun like a black baby.

In a state of loneliness I’ll plan a coup
Group African leaders as babies
Call on afro-centric teachers to make learning:
Meekness is kindness,
Leadership is worship
Praise for motherland found
In sand trampled by wimpished-seeds
Gripped in leaped-faith

If I were born black …again
Again, the rainbow will climb low
Above the ark of blacks,
Colour the day with lights
Dwell amongst men of feeble faith
And wear the gown of blunt face disgraced.

If I were born black …again,
I would write with my left, cleft Saves
Pave ways as I watch life sway
On papers, my sins I’ll re-write.

No comments:

Post a Comment